Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sprinkles, Rest in Peace

My cat Sprinkles was found dead on the morning of August 6, 2005 in the Foundry area near my apartment. Even with four cats present in the house in Kingwood, Sprinkles was clearly my cat. When I brought her to Arcosanti, I was surprised to find that even without her claws Sprinkles was a mighty hunter, bringing mice and rats to my bed at night. Unfortunately she never adapted well to the human side of the Arcosanti environment, and many people here saw her only in photos. I never discovered where she spent the bulk of her time, hiding from everyone until nightfall. As time went by, even I saw her less and less often. Two night disappearances became two weeks, and finally reached a month's duration toward the end of her life. She was a good cat. I loved her, and I will miss her.

Goodbye Sprinkles,
Rest In Peace


Epilogue

On the same morning that Sprinkles' body was discovered, a praying mantis egg case in my terrarium opened, releasing dozens of tiny newborn mantids. The ways of the world are not ours to know, but sometimes we can glimpse the connections between life, death and the cycles of renewal.

6 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Bobby. What happened to her?
-Kati

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While she wasn't my favorite cat, I am saddened to hear that about her. I bet she enjoyed her last several days.

Stephanie

Needless to say everyone else got an extra hug tonight.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Bob Manley said...

Kati, I don't know what happened to her. Her body was intact, so I know that she wasn't attacked by coyotes or a wild cat.

Steph, give everyone a quick scratch behind the ears from me, too.

Later,
Bob

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Animals can be such true friends; it is hard to see them go.

You have another cat with you there?

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Bob Manley said...

Yes, my other cat, Tigger, is still with me. He has made the transition beautifully, and spends his days lounging under a cypress tree near the Ceramics Apse. People come by and pet him, and he revels in the attention.

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so sorry Bob to hear about your loss. We know how much you will miss Sprinkles, she was a special friend. Toni, Jim and Ali

 

Post a Comment

<< Home