Saturday, May 21, 2005

Adventures with Heat

I visited Phoenix today to help a former Arcosanti resident with some landscaping. I worked from about 8:30 to 11:00. I was sucking on my water bottle almost constantly, but I still got too hot. Heat exhaustion isn't fun. I had to go inside and sit down with a wet towel for an hour or so before I felt alright again. After a long lunch break, I went back out and worked for another half-hour or so, but I knew I'd be in bad shape again if I pushed any farther. Arizona heat is just different than Houston heat, and I haven't really gotten acclimatized yet. It's probably a good thing I didn't sign up with the Landscaping or Agriculture departments.

Quote of the day: "Instead of Cool Brook Lane or Shady Glen Drive they should use street names like Blast Furnace Avenue." (Actually a composite of comments by several people)

5 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Pictures.

This is kinda exciting.

It looks kindof like an Elf or Dwarven village (In my imagination) Hill Dwarfs and plains Elves... of course...

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous above was Mike, hey Bob.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next Week I will send you some pics of my kids.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the desert, a good cooling technique i use for hiking is dousing your clothes in water. It will dry off (not like houston) and cool you while it does.

Did you try the forge?

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Bob Manley said...

I'll be looking for those pictures, Mike.

No, I didn't actually end up working in the foundry. I've enjoyed my work in Maintenance, and I'm just going to stick with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home